Rally Raid Products UK have designed, developed and manufactured their own heavy-duty, spoked wheels for the new Honda CRF1000 Africa Twin, based on their successful rally and adventure experiences.
These are a big improvement over the tubed OEM Honda versions, which only use plated steel spokes and nipples, and have had corrosion problems, plus the OEM Honda rims are too wide to run with competition tyres and bib mousses. The Rally Raid design of rims are the same as most enduro bikes, (KTM EXC etc,) so that a wide choice of off-road tyres and mousses can be fitted.
Rally Raid UK have tested these wheels extensively over the last 12 months in several rallies, and have had no problems when racing with mousses fitted. They are supplied with rim tapes for those that may choose to run inner tubes.
Both front and rear hubs are manufactured from 6082T6 billet aluminium alloy, and black anodised for a durable finish.
Benefits of the Rally Raid wheel kit:
- The rear hub is designed to work with the OEM cush drive and rubbers.
- The rear rim is slightly narrower, 18"x2.50", rather than the wider stock 18"x4.00" OEM Honda rim, to give a broader choice of off-road tyres. The Rally Raid rear hub/rim is 36 spoke pattern, rather than the OEM Honda 32 spoke design, which is much stronger and more resistant to flex.
- The hubs are supplied with bearings and seals - ready to run.
- The front hub uses oversize bearings, the same size as the OEM Honda rear, (because the OEM Honda front hub uses even smaller bearings than the CB500X!!) - this gives a lot more strength, and less spare parts needing to be carried.
- Both front and rear hubs are designed to work with OEM Honda discs, ABS rings and mounting bolts.
- The front hub is designed so that it is possible to move the ABS ring over to the opposite side, then turn the wheel round, to even out knobbly pattern tyre wear on long trips.
- The fitted high-tensile "Bulldog" spokes have a 33% larger cross section, and consequently 60% stronger tensile strength than the OEM Honda plated mild steel spokes, plus being stainless steel, they are corrosion-proof.
- The spoke nipples are nickel-plated brass, again, corrosion-proof and maintenance free.
Both rims are high-grade aluminium alloy, with rim tapes fitted.
The rim sizes are 21"x1.85" front and 18"x2.50" rear, 36 spoke hole pattern, and are available in black powder coat.
We prefer the powder-coat finish rather than anodising for the reason it is more durable, less resistant to marking when riding off-road, or changing tyres. And also they can be "touched up" with paint, if required, if they do happen to get damaged.
NOTE - These wheelsets are now being built to order - please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery