If you want the best you can get then look no further - SKF Green Fork Seals are world renowned to be the best - race and rally proven.
The SKF Green Fork Seal Kit, has been developed by SKF to achieve superior sealing performance while reducing friction, and is suitable for all high-end motorcycle forks.
As a result of SKF’s extensive experience in the design and material development of seals for suspension systems, SKF has developed a new self-lubricating compound.
The design and performance characteristics of the seals made from this compound enable them to keep oil in and contaminants out of the fork, while virtually eliminating stick-slip and improving performance by reducing friction.
The kit contains 2 x oil seals and 2 x wiper seals designed to withstand contaminated operating conditions and provide low friction, limited air suction and allow consistent hydraulic performance at factory setting levels.
We haven't had chance to run a set through the workshop yet to show you, but there are lots of YouTube films showing the difference in stiction between OEM fork seals and SKF fork seals.
- The kit is comprised of 2 x dust scrapers and 2 x oil seals
- The dust scraper is the first guard against dirt entering the fork and contaminating the other components in the fork
- The oil seal prevents oil from exiting the fork
- Specially developed NBR elastomer with lower friction characteristics
- Made of a new self-lubricating compound developed to achieve superior sealing performance.
- New oil seal lip geometry specific to fork seals
- Increased life and performance
- Enhanced water and dirt protection capability
- Reduced and constant friction over the life of seal
- Over 20% friction reduction
- Much improved ride comfort
- Compatibility with a wide range of OE and aftermarket oils
- Reduced wear and air suction
Laboratory tests verified that SKF fork seals reduce friction by more than 20% and keeping it constant during the operation.
Stick-slip was also reduced when compared to standard seals. Diagrams 1 and 2 show the load distribution over the stroke of the fork (spikes represent vibrations) and the value of the friction generated by the seals during operation (force) both in the case of chrome plated and hard coated rod.
In field tests, riders experienced a much smoother feeling that results in better accuracy and more comfort.
SKF, the leading global supplier of seals for automotive and two wheel applications, offers a series of seals to the aftermarket, for motorcycle forks.
Our extensive experience in the area of shock absorber seals has lead to the development of a new seal that will enhance the enjoyment of your ride.
Seals for motorcycle suspension differs according to the application: oil seals and wiper rings for the front fork, usually monotube seals for the rear suspension, and special seals for the steering damper. Even though operating pressures and temperatures in motorcycles are moderate when compared to a car or truck, there are some specific factors to be considered.
- Enduro or motocross forks are the most demanding applications due to a long stroke, high speed and contaminated operating conditions.
- For high performance street motorcycles, the vibration frequency can be extremely high, causing chattering.
- In addition, there are special dust protection requirements due to the exposed position of the fork and the absence of protective bellows.
In the above applications, the rider is in direct contact with the front suspension via the handlebars. Therefore, the smoothness of fork movement is vital, as it has a considerable impact on steering behaviour.